The UHCL Travel Group has been in operation since October 1997 and was established to provide UHCL employees with efficient and improved travel services. We take care of most of your business travel needs, from reservations to reimbursement. The following information is provided as a resource to UHCL business travelers. This site contains documents on travel policies, latest travel news, contracted travel vendors, forms, and links to outside sources of travel information.

Important to Know Before You Travel

             ** Please Note: New requirements effective September 1, 2019 **  

  •  Itemized meal receipts are not required for reimbursement, however, travelers should not seek reimbursement for expenses not incurred.
  • When going to a conference the agenda must be included with the expense report

UHCL Travel Guidelines

When traveling on University business, you will most likely spend money on airfare, hotels, meals and other incidental items, such as business phone calls and cab fares. Subject to your department's approval, the University will reimburse you for some of these expenses. However, for others it will not. Examples of some of the non-reimbursable items include:

  • Meals for non-overnight travel 
  • Any tips exceeding 20%; tips are limited to 20% 
  • Pay TV and video rentals 
  • Personal entertainment such as attending a professional sports event 
  • Personal phone calls 
  • Health club fees 
  • Domestic car rental collision and damage waiver (CDW) insurance 
  • Personal injury (PI) insurance coverage.

Employees may be reimbursed for a meal expense incurred while outside of his or her designated headquarters on a day that the employee conducts state business .

The Traveler should assume that any item not specifically addressed in the Texas Travel Allowance Guide is not allowed as a University travel expense. You should be familiar enough with the Travel Policy to be aware of what can and what cannot be reimbursed.

NOTE: Individual units (e.g. colleges, departments, institutes, divisions) have budgetary oversight for travel expenditures and therefore may establish travel procedures which reduce allowable expenses to a level below that available through the University policy. Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) may also require a greater degree of documentation for expenses than the University policy. Therefore prior to taking a trip, travelers should consult with the Travel Office for documentation requirements.

NOTE: Expense reports must be submitted within 60 days of trip completion.  The IRS requires that travel reimbursements must be submitted within sixty days of completion of the travel or it becomes taxable income to the employee.  The taxable amount will be forwarded to Human Resources to be included on the traveler's W-2.  This does not apply to blanket mileage.

Mount all receipts or other attachments with tape onto an 8-1/2" x 11" paper, carefully taping all sides without taping over printed information. For multiple receipts, please attach calculator tape to assist with the auditing of the expense report.

If 50% or more trip days are primarily personal vs. business, traveler will not be reimbursed for domestic travel to/from destination.

Mileage Reimbursement Rates

58 cents beginning January 1, 2019
54.5 cents January 1- December 31, 2018

Local Blanket Mileage Coverage Area

Effective November 1, 2013 all Travel-related documents will be accepted via campus mail or scanned through email to the Travel office email account.

This includes: Travel Authorization/Foreign Travel Authorization and all supporting documentation Expense Report and receipts (employees or department should retain the originals of any scanned/emailed receipts until final, correct payment is received (approx. 60 days) and then shred. When emailing expense reports, send with subject title T# and name of traveler - Expense Report and Travel Overage Approval. The Travel Office will furnish the Hotel Credit Card Agreement form when hotel card is picked up. Please note: Hotel cards must still be picked up at the Travel Office at NOA II (North Office Annex II).


  • Travel

    Phone: 281-283-2270
    Fax: 281-283-2156

    North Office Annex (NOA II)
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 105
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Office Hours:
    Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.