Strategic Planning Milestone
Fall 2017: Our Vision, Mission, Values Taskforce was formed and began the process of drafting and reviewing our new statements.
April/May 2019: Various committees, teams and advisory boards were assembled to launch UHCL's strategic planning process with nine interactive forums for faculty, staff and students to discuss the theme areas listed below. These sessions provided valuable feedback to determine our actual themes, competitive analysis and strategic positioning.
- Academic Excellence
- Student Experience
- Sustainable Financial Resources and Alignment
- Partnership with Community
- Human Capital and Service-Based Culture
May 2019: Vision, Mission, and Values statements were approved by the University of Houston System Board of Regents quarterly meeting. This approval demonstrates the strong support we have from all of our dedicated Regents.
June 2019: Strategic Foundations Workshop with the Strategic Management Team to discuss how we would frame our themes based on four perspectives:
- Students and Stakeholders
- Resource Stewardship
- University Process
- Organizational Capacity
September 2019: Theme Teams Workshops with approximately 50 subject matter experts from the UHCL community (faculty, staff, administrators and alumni) were held to refine the strategic themes and develop for each, a strategy map consisting of 8-15 objectives and supporting initial outcomes for each objective.
- Educational Achievement
- Inclusive Culture
- Innovation through Collaboration
- University Identity
The Strategic Planning Facilitation and Training Team, comprised of more than 20 faculty and staff, participated in a week-long Balanced Scorecard Certification program to assist with the effective long-term implementation of the strategic plan. Participants will receive certification from the George Washington University as a Balance Scorecard Professional.
October 2019: The Strategic Management Team convened for part 1 of the development of overall strategic objectives and strategy map for each theme. Our Mission, Vision and Values are approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
November 2019: Objective Owners participated in a two-day workshop to determine performance measures of strategic objectives. The Strategic Management Team met to review strategic objectives and refine measures and KPIs.
December 2019: The Strategic Management Team and Objective Owners met to finalize objective commentary,
measures, and initiatives as well as outline our implementation plan.
Beginning in spring 2020, we will launch our strategic plan in tiered audience phases.
- Tier 1: This is the University level strategic plan and strategy map comprised of strategic objectives and initiatives developed to produce overall effectiveness and efficiency and fulfill the UHCL’s vision, mission, and values.
- Tier 2: This is the college and division level strategic plan and strategy map designed for the unique and specific needs of each college and division. The Tier 2 plan is in alignment and inherently supports the Tier 1 strategy map and strategic plan.
- Tier 3: This is the individual employee level performance plan and individual development plan that is constructed and implemented to align individual employees with the college/division and University level objectives and initiatives.
Snapshots of our Progress