Empower Diverse Individuals and Families
Reach your career goal of providing support to others by receiving a Master of Science in Counseling through University of Houston-Clear Lake’s College of Education. Whether your objective is to become a School Counselor or a Licensed Professional Counselor, your role will be vital to your school or clients. You will facilitate and support students or clients to achieve their potential and develop personally and professionally. UHCL offers options that include both licensed and non-licensed counseling degrees. These range from providing a foundational knowledge of the basic principles and techniques of counseling which can be helpful in a variety of careers, to full certification as School Counselor or coursework aligned to apply for Licensed Professional Counselor, or both.
Consider Your Options to Specialize
With your Master of Science in Counseling from UHCL, you’ll be prepared meet the
academic requirements for General Applied Techniques Concentration (Non-Licensure),
for the School Counselor standard certificate (EC-12), or for Clinical Mental Health
Counseling Concentration in preparation for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor
in the state of Texas.
Request InformationHow to ApplyVisit
Eager to make your dreams come true by studying at UHCL? Make sure you have what it takes to begin your journey to success.
- Counseling M.S.
Fall: March 1
Spring: September 1
- The graduate test score is waived for applicants who have earned a 3.000 GPA in the last 60 hours of coursework; or
- Applicants who have earned less than 3.000 in the last 60 hours of coursework, are
required to submit one of the following:
- A combined GRE score of 294 and a writing score of 3.5
- An MAT score of 390 minimum
- Applicants holding a Master's degree from an accredited institution are not required to submit GRE or MAT scores.
- Applicants must submit three (3) Professional Recommendation Forms
- Once a completed application is received by the Counseling program, it will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review. A committee member will contact the applicant for an on-campus interview, after which, a final admissions decision will be made.
School Counselor program applicants only must also submit the following:
- Signed FERPA Form
- Certificate of completion of online TEA Ethics Training
- Texas Teacher Service Record from School District HR office
- Valid Standard Texas Teacher Certificate
- Background Check Verification Form
- Certificates of completion from TEA required school district training on Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Youth Suicide Prevention
- TEA Application Fee Receipt
Educate yourself on the necessary course work at University of Houston-Clear Lake. We want you to succeed in the College of Education, so review the degree requirements for your preferred major.
Get schooled on the projected costs for tuition, books, supplies and more for your education degree from UHCL.
Tuition and FeesNet Price CalculatorFee Schedule Calculator
UH-Clear Lake Pearland Campus
1200 Pearland Pkwy
Pearland, Texas 77581
Since 2010, University of Houston-Clear Lake Pearland Campus has proudly served as an upper-level institution serving juniors, seniors, and graduate students in fields like business and behavioral science.
Accreditations and Distinctions
UHCL’s College of Education graduate and undergraduate programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation for both initial teacher preparation and advanced educator preparation. We’re one of only 14 educator preparation programs in Texas to hold this accreditation. The College of Education is also accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification/Texas Education Agency and holds accreditations from a number of organizations for individual specializations and certification programs.
We’ve earned national recognition for accomplishment and innovation, including the Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence in Teacher Education.