Why Study Abroad?
If the thought of traveling across the world has ever crossed your mind, or you've always wanted to see your textbooks come to life and break out of your academic routine, UHCL's Education Abroad may be the program for you. By studying abroad, you can:
- Expand your view of the world and learn another culture first-hand.
- Benefit from the depth of learning that occurs beyond textbooks and the classroom.
- Learn about yourself and develop invaluable skills like self-confidence.
- Gain new ideas and perspectives about yourself and your culture.
- Make your resume stand out.
- Enhance your education and contribute to your degree plan (detailed in Academic Credit for Education Abroad section).
Academic Credit for Education Abroad
Credit from an Education Abroad program will factor into a your degree plan differently, depending on your major, classification, hours of transfer credit already on file and type of study abroad program chosen. In many cases, credit from courses taken abroad can be applied towards a major, minor or elective requirements at UHCL. If you partake of an official UHCL faculty-led program, you will receive UHCL credit for courses taken abroad.
Work with your academic adviser the semester before you go abroad to confirm how courses taken abroad can be applied to your UHCL degree requirements.
Education Abroad 101 Information Sessions
Where will education abroad take you? Find out at an information session that will cover:
- Program types and selection
- Living arrangements
- Financial aid and scholarships
- Next steps
Attend one of our upcoming sessions via Zoom! Some sessions are also available in-person:
- November 4 from 1-2 p.m. (Zoom) or visit us in SSCB, Room 2307
- November 17 at 10 a.m. (Zoom)
- December 4 at 3 p.m. (Zoom)
Program selection advising is available through scheduled appointments. Attending an Education Abroad 101 Information Session is a required part of applying for a UHCL Education Abroad program. You must attend a full session before meeting with an Education Abroad adviser, as it covers important information about the process.