Debra Shulsky, Ed.D.
Associate Professor of Curriculum and Instruction,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- Elementary and Secondary Social Studies Education
- Teacher Preparation
- Instructional Strategies and Curriculum Planning
- Qualitative Research (Self-Study)
Presentations (most recent)
- Shulsky, D. & Kirkwood, D. (2013, October). Going Graphic with Environmental Education: Using Comics in K-12 Classrooms. Presented at the annual North American Association for Environmental Educators conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Shulsky, D., Bowie, C., Davis T., Lambert, M., Molina, P. (2013, October). A cornucopia of connections: Using the hunger games in the social studies. Presented at the annual conference for the Texas Council for Social Studies, San Antonio, TX.
- Hendrix E., & Shulsky D. (2013, June) Integrating Content Methods Instruction to Facilitate Student Learning: Reflecting on an intensive field-based integrated program. Presented at the Texas Association for Teacher Educators, Austin, TX.
- Shulsky, D. (2013, May) Integrating the College and Readiness Standards in a Social Studies Methods Course. Presented at the College and Career Readiness Initiative Faculty Collaborative Conference, Austin, TX
- Shulsky, D., Hendrix E., Weiser, B., Moore K., & Browning S. (2013, February). Journey to Life Long Learning through Curricular Integration: Experience of one elementary teacher education program. Presented at the Association for Teacher Education conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Laney, J., Shulsky D., Philipose, S., & Shahid, J. (2013, February). Meeting College and Career Readiness Standards Using Powerful and Authentic Social Studies. Presented at the Association for Teacher Education conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Shulsky, D. (2012, October). Lessons from Henry: Exposing the educational bigotry of a critical teacher educator. Presented at the American Association of Teaching and Curriculum, San Antonio, TX
- Smith, D., Willis, J. & Shulsky D. (2012, February). Meaning making: Developing technology competencies within the context of social justice issues. Presented at the Association for Teacher Education conference, San Antonio,TX
- McDonald, D., Divoll K., Shulsky D., Smith D., & Craig C. (February 2012) Establishing Scholarly Identity in our academic sandbox: Drawing lines in the sand. Presented at the Association for Teacher Education conference San Antonio, TX
- Shulsky, D. (2012, October). The road to civically competent citizens: Exploring primary documents for expressions of citizenship. Presented at the Texas Council for the Social Studies, Arlington, TX
- Ongoing self-study research on teacher education, specifically Social Studies education.
- Critical Thinking and Cognitive Literacy for Young Learners
- Innovative approaches to curriculum that incorporates unconventional "text" including graphic novels.
- Integrated Curriculum