Khondker Hasan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Computer Science,
College of Science and Engineering
Dr. Khondker Shajadul Hasan is currently working as an assistant professor of Computer Science at the University of Houston - Clear Lake (UHCL), Houston, TX. Before joining UHCL, Dr. Khondker has worked at Schlumberger Technology, Houston, as a Senior Software Engineer from 2014 -2016. He was associated with future of rigs project with Planck core research and development group and received several cutting-edge trainings and certificates. Dr. Khondker was responsible of integrating direction drilling and environment correction of gamma-ray models in the future of rig project. Dr. Khondker received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Oklahoma, USA in 2014. His Ph.D. research directions were parallel and distributed computing, multi-core performance prediction models, and general-purpose computing using graphical processing unit (GPGPU). He received his MS in Computer Science from Wichita State University, Kansas, USA, in 2001 and BS in Computer Science from North South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, in 1998. He has worked as a Lecturer and Senior Lecturer from 2002 to 2009 in the Computer Science Department at North South University.
Dr. Khondker has worked as a Research Assistant at MSCI Inc., Oklahoma, on site. He was associated with the multi-core CPU performance prediction modeling in distributed environment group. He was in-charge of introducing mathematical models, associated parallel algorithms, and simulators for the research project. The work was highly appreciated by the research community and resulted in several high-ranked journal and conference publications. Dr. Khondker has also worked in the Samson high-performance research lab in the University of Oklahoma where he utilized his proposed performance prediction models to introduce task dispatchers in distributed multi-core environment. Both task dispatchers were compared against widely used commercial system with real-world heterogeneous benchmark workload (SPEC 2006). Empirical results showed the accuracy of introduced task models which outperformed the commercial task dispatcher.
Dr. Khondker is the recipient of distinguished alumni award 2017 based on his academic achievement and service towards the community from North South University. Recently he received two internal research grants from the UHCL. Dr. Khondker is the recipient of Robberson Research and Travel Grants in 2014 and the recipient of the Computer Science Advisory Board Scholarship 2012–2013. His research interest includes parallel and distributed systems, performance modelling algorithms, and real-time scheduling. Based on his research interest and expertise, several undergraduate and master's students are working with him on their final thesis/project. Dr. Khondker has published several Journal and conference papers in highly reputed peer-reviewed conferences and Journals. Besides, Dr. Khondker is working as a reviewer for multiple journals and conferences. He is also the member of Schlumberger Eureka Technical Community (SETC) and International Association of Engineers (IAENG)
Areas of Expertise
Dr. Khondker has extensive hands-on experience on the following areas:
- Distributed Network Systems and Big Data.
- Enterprise Java Programming (J2EE) and Testing Environment.
- Dot Net Development (C#), MSTest, TFS Build definitions, and other TFS services.
- Parallel algorithms and programming for GPGPU using CUDA.
- Distributed algorithms and programming in Linux environment with C/C++.
- Advanced Relational & Object-Oriented Databases and performance optimization (LINQ).
- Mathematical knowledge with experience developing comprehensive algorithms.
- Khondker S. Hasan, “Performance Enhancement and Prediction Model of Concurrent Thread Execution in JVM”, 14th Int'l Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Visualization Methods (MSV-17), Organized under: The 2017 World Congress in Computer Science Computer Engineering & Applied Computing (CSCE’17), Nevada, USA, 17-20 July 2017.
- Khondker S. Hasan, John K. Antonio, Sridhar Radhakrishnan, "A model-driven approach for predicting and analysing the execution efficiency of multi-core processing”, International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering (IJCSE), INDERSCIENCE Publishers, Vol: 14, No 2, Page 105 – 125, Olney, Bucks, UK, March 2017.
- Khondker S. Hasan, John K. Antonio, Sridhar Radhakrishnan, "A New Multi-core CPU Resource Availability Prediction Model for Concurrent Processes”, The 2017 IAENG International Conference on Computer Science (ICCS-17), Organized under: International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS-17), Hong Kong, 15-17 March 2017.
- Khondker S. Hasan, Amlan Chatterjee, Sridhar Radhakrishnan, and John K Antonio, "Performance Prediction and Analysis of Compute-intensive Tasks on GPUs",The 11th IFIP International Conference on Network and Parallel Computing (NPC-14), Sept. 2014, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), Springer, ISBN: 978-3-662-44917-2, Vol: 8707, pp 612-17, Berlin, Germany, 2014.
- Khondker S. Hasan, John Antonio, Sridhar Radhakrishnan,“A New Composite CPU/Memory Model for Predicting Efficiency of Multi-core Processing”, The 20th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA-14), Workshop on SoCs, Heterogeneous Architectures and Workloads (SHAW- 5), Sponsored by: IEEE Computer Society, DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.3051.9207, Orlando, FL, USA, 15-19 February 2014.
- Khondker S. Hasan, Sridhar Radhakrishnan, John Antonio, “Composite Prediction Model and Task Distribution on a Cluster of Multi-core Processors”, IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC-13) workshop, Sponsored by: IEEE Computer Society, DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.3150.2240, Bangalore, India, December 2013.
- Khondker S. Hasan, Nicolas G. Grounds, John K. Antonio, “Predicting CPU Availability of a Multi-core Processor Executing Concurrent Java Threads”, 17th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA-17), Sponsor: World Academy of Science and Computer Science Research, Education, and Applications (CSREA) Pages: 551-557, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, July 2011.
- Khondker S. Hasan, Munirul Islam, M Samiullah Chowdhury, Eusuf Abdullah Mim, Naieem Khan, “Bio-Medical Data Integration Based on MetaQuerier Architecture”, The 2011 International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BIOCOMP'11), Pages: 648- 654, Nevada, USA, July 18-21, 2011.
- Khondker Shajadul Hasan, Radia Abdul Wahab, Munawwar Mahmud Sohul, “A Model for Least Distance Protocol in MANET Using Artificial Intelligence Search Techniques”, International Journal of Electrical & Computer Sciences (IJECS), Pages: 59-66, Vol: 11 No: 02, ISBN: 117902-4545, IJENS publishers, USA, April 2011.
- Khondker S. Hasan, Mashiur Rahman, Abul L. Haque, M Abdur Rahman, Tanzil Rahman, “Cost Effective GPS-GPRS Based Object Tracking System”, International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS) 2009, Vol I, Page: 398-402, ISBN: 978-988-17012-2-0, Hong Kong, March 18-20, 2009.
Courses (Current Academic Year)
- CSCI 1320: Introduction to C Programming
- CSCI 1370: Software Development with Java
- CSCI 5134: Concurrent Programming & Software Modeling
- CSCI 5333: Database Management Systems
- CSCI 5432: Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- CSCI 5531: Advanced Operating Systems
Dr. Khondker has extensive experience and interest working on the following research areas:
- Performance Modeling and Analytics
- Parallel algorithms and Architecture of GPU (GPGPU with CUDA)
- Distributed Networks, Algorithms, Scheduling, and Security
- Algorithm Analysis and Design
- Software Engineering Processes and Architectures
Awards and Accomplishments
- Lean Software Design & Development Certification, Schlumberger, Sugarland, TX, July 2015.
- Advanced Object Oriented Design Certification, Schlumberger, Sugarland, TX, May 2015.
- Cache eXtreme Developer Certification, InterSystems Corporation, Schlumberger, TX, Nov 2014.
- Distinguished Alumni Award: North South University, Dhaka, 2017.
- Member: International Association of Engineers (IAENG), Member # 156478, 2016 – Present
- Reviewer: The Journal of Supercomputing, Springer, USA.
- Dean's RA Scholarship: College of Science & Engineering, UHCL, August 2017.
- Judge: STEM Challenge, College of Science & Engineering, UHCL, April 2017.
- Robberson Grants: Research & Travel, Grad College, University of Oklahoma, Norman, 2014.
- HPCA 2014 Student Grant: IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture, Sponsored by IEEE Computer Society, 2014.
- Computer Science Advisory Board Scholarship: School of Computer Science, University of Oklahoma, Norman, 2012-13.
- Faculty Advisor: Computer Club, North South University, Fall 2002 – Fall 2009.