Bazlur Rashid, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology and Biotechnology,
College of Science and Engineering
- Rahman S, Hassan KMA, and Rashid MB. 2018. MicroRNA Expression Patterns Responsible for Inducing Chemo-Resistance in Ovarian Cancer. J. Biomed 2018; 3: 64-67. doi:10.7150/jbm.25976.
- Hossain SA and Rashid MB. 2012. Prospects of molecular biotechnology for crop cultivation in low-lying coastal areas. Emir. J. Food Agric. 24 (3): 230-233.
- Kolodziejski PJ, Rashid MB and Eissa NT, 2003. Intracellular formation of "undisruptable" dimers of inducible nitric oxide synthase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. Nov 25;100(24):14263-8
- Rashid MB, Stanton JD and Mensa-Wilmot K, 2002. Cysteine-less GPI-phospholipase C is Inhibited Competitively by a Sulfhydryl Reagent: Glyco-mimicry by para-Chloromercuriphenylsulfonate (Biochem J. Aug 15; 366(Pt 1): 281-8)
- Ghosh DK, Rashid MB, Crane B, Taskar V, Mast M, Misukonis MA, Weinberg JB, Eissa NT, 2001. Characterization of key residues in the subdomain encoded by exons 8 and 9 of human inducible nitric oxide synthase: a critical role for Asp-280 in substrate binding and subunit interactions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. Aug 28; 98(18): 10392-7
- Rashid MB and Mensa-Wilmot K, 2000. A novel kanamycin/neomycin phsophotransferase cassette increases transformation efficiency of E. coli. Biotechniques (January)
- Rashid MB, Russell M and Mensa-Wilmot K, 1999. Roles of Gln81 and Cys80 in Catalysis by GPI-Phospholipase C from Trypanosoma brucei. Eur J Biochem. Sep 15; 264(3): 914-920.
- Teilhet M, Rashid MB, Hawk A, Al-Qahtani A and Mensa-Wilmot K, 1998. Effect of short 5' UTR on protein synthesis in two biological kingdoms. Gene 222: 91-97.
- Rashid MB, Shirahige K, Ogasawara N and Yoshikawa H, 1994. Anatomy of the stimulative sequences flanking the ARS consensus sequence of chromosome VI in S. cerevisiae. Gene 150: 213-220.
- Yamazoe M, Shirahige K, Rashid MB, Kaneko Y. Nakayama T, Ogasawara N, Yoshikawa H, 1994 A protein which binds preferentially to single-stranded core sequence of autonomously replicating sequence is essential for respiratory function in mitochondria of S. cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 269: 15244-15252.
- Shirahige K, Iwasaki T, Rashid MB, Ogasawara N and Yoshikawa H, 1993. Location and characterization of autonomously replicating sequences from chromosome VI of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol 13: 5043-5056.
- Regulation and localization of proteins/enzymes aiming towards vaccine development or chemotherapy
- Cloning of novel genes to study roles in pathophysiology in human diseases
- Expression and characterization of chimeric proteins
- Mechanism of DNA replication
Awards and Accomplishments
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award fellow, 2000
- Monbusho Scholarship (Ministry of Education, Science & Culture, Japan), 1989
- Bangladesh National Board Scholarship for Medical Education, 1980
- UHCL Faculty Research Support Fund (2003-2010): $ 22,790 -PI
- NIH-NICHD AREA Grant: ‘New Human Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase-binding Proteins in Testis: Possible Role in Fertility’. $341,934 (2010-13) -PI
Seung-Beom Hong, M. Bazlur Rashid and Lory Z. Santiago-Vázquez. Book manuscript “Methods of Biotechnology” published 2016 by Wiley-Blackwell.