COVID-19 Updates: Safety Protocols Remain in Effect for UHCL. Message from the President.

Research Assistant

Faculty members of the College of Science and Engineering (CSE) hire student research assistants to work on research development awards, externally funded grants and contracts, and other types of research projects. Availability of research assistant positions depends on the funding that has been awarded and or granted for specific research activities thus the number and of available positions varies. Check with faculty members for their research interests and availability of RA jobs.

How to Apply

RA applications are available from the secretaries within your academic division, in the Bayou Building, Suite 3611 and online Research Assistant Application. Upon fully completing the CSE Research Assistant Application form and any other division or program level application requirements, securing a faculty recommender's signature (if required by the division), and signing the CSE Research Assistant Application form, return it to your academic division or program as per instructions provided by the academic division or program.

To be considered for employment as a Research Assistant, the applicant must be:

  • Eligible for enrollment and planning to take courses during the current and/or following semester.
  • Must meet minimum GPA requirements for enrolled students and be in good academic standing.

Students who have been selected for employment must complete the appropriate paperwork available through the UHCL Office of Human Resources Website. All new workers or workers who have not been employed by UHCL within the past 12 months must document their eligibility to work within the Office of Human Resources before working. You will not be paid for work completed prior to fulfilling I-9 documentation requirements within HR

Document your eligibility to work

Upon receiving IRCA clearance to work, additional paperwork and your action is required to initiate your payroll assignment. If you have not done so already, complete the Research Assistant Application and obtain signatures from the faculty member for whom you will be working as a student research assistant.

Along with your green IRCA cleared slip and approved application, you will need to submit additional forms that you complete via University of Houston-Clear Lake - Temporary/Part-Time Employment Manual:

Complete Your Administrative Paperwork

Complete all forms in the following sections:

  • Section 1: The following forms are for ALL Employees to complete
  • Section 4: Nonresident Alien Employees on F-1, H-1, or J-1 Visas
  • Section 5: Student Worker Certification

Return your completed paperwork to Bayou Room 3611

  1. Direct your questions regarding your completed paperwork to Ms. Donna Wilson (281-283-3822,
  2. Visit the UHCL Health Center site to learn more about health insurance available to UHCL students.

All Research Assistants must attend an orientation each semester when held by their academic division.

  • College of Science and Engineering

    Phone: 281-283-3700
    Advising: 281-283-3711

    Bayou Building 3611
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 415
    Houston, TX 77058-1002