COVID-19 Updates: Safety Protocols Remain in Effect for UHCL. Message from the President.

Teaching Assistant

The College of Science and Engineering employs graduate student teaching assistants in fulfilling important duties and responsibilities for providing quality instruction and enhancing the learning environment for CSE students.

To be considered for the position of student teaching assistant (TA), an applicant must be:

  • A graduate student in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher and enrolled in a minimum of six hours during the long semesters, or enrolled during the summer.
  • Have a signed Candidate Plan of Study on file and be making satisfactory progress toward a degree in CSE.

TA applications are available from the secretaries within your academic division and in the Bayou Building, Suite 3611. Upon fully completing the CSE Graduate Teaching Assistant Application form and any other division or program level application requirements, securing a faculty recommender's signature (if required by the division), and signing the CSE Graduate Teaching Assistant Application form, return it to your academic division or program as per instructions provided by the academic division or program.

After being reviewed for meeting TA applicant requirements, your application must be approved by the CSE department chair over the discipline in which you will work if you are hired. If selected; you will be notified by the academic department for which you will work as per your department's notification process and or procedure. If you are selected for hire as a teaching assistant, and you have not worked for UHCL within the preceding 12 months, then the following steps must be completed:

Document your eligibility to work

You will NOT be paid for any work before you complete your I-9 documentation

  1. If you do not have a social security number, contact a secretary within your academic division for instructions
  2. Present your driver's license and Social Security card or passport at the Office of Human Resources, Bayou Room 2537
  3. Complete INS Form I-9 All employees must document their immigration status as required by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986

Complete Your Administrative Paperwork

Administrative forms are provided on-line at : University of Houston-Clear Lake - Temporary/Part-Time Employment Manual Complete all the forms in the following sections:

  1. Section 1: The following forms are for ALL Employees to complete
  2. Section 4: Nonresident Alien Employees on F-1, H-1, or J-1 Visas
  3. Section 5: Student Worker Certification

Return your completed paperwork to Bayou Room 3611

  1. Direct your questions regarding your completed paperwork to Ms. Donna Wilson (281-283-3822,
  2. Visit UHCL Health Services to learn more about health insurance available to UHCL students.

All Teaching Assistants must attend an orientation each semester when held by their academic division.

  • College of Science and Engineering

    Phone: 281-283-3700
    Advising: 281-283-3711

    Bayou Building 3611
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 415
    Houston, TX 77058-1002